Choosing the best door for your living space can make all the difference. Your doors serve two purposes – aesthetics and security. Both the features are crucial and should be considered when choosing the door you want. If you are designing your dream home or renovating your current adobe, upgrading your doors to the latest styles of sliding doors can be a smart choice. From bathrooms to bedrooms and patios to wardrobes, sliding doors are perfect for various spaces around your home. Available in different materials and styles, these door types deliver a practical solution when space is at a premium. Sliding doors provide a perfect balance of aesthetics and functionality and facilitate the flow of traffic to and from the house seamlessly. Whether you contemplating installing sliding doors in your home or office, or just curious about this door solution, this blog post will provide you with a detailed overview of the beauty and versatility of sliding doors.
As the name suggests, sliding doors move horizontally along a track. Unlike our traditional doors that swing open into the room, sliding doors open and close along a fixed glide. Generally, these doors consist of two-panel sections, where one section remains stationary and the other side is mobile. With a sliding door system, you just need to slide them along a fixed track to open and close the doors.
Types of Sliding Doors
When it comes to sliding doors, there are different styles available, each offering its own set of features.
1. Sliding Patio Door: This is the most common and traditional style of sliding door with two panels. Here, one door slides behind the other panel and can be installed easily in small places.
2. Bi-folding Door: These sliding doors have panels hinged together and operate by folding and stacking against one another, like an accordion. As the panels fold away completely without restricting the size of the entranceway, it essentially opens up the whole room. If you are looking for a stylish sliding door style that can create more space in your rooms, then bi-folding doors are the right choice.
3. Multi-Sliding Stacker Door: As the name suggests, this sliding door has multiple panels that slide in behind a single fixed pane and stack on top of one another while opening. Stacker sliding doors can open nearly two-thirds of any room letting in more natural light and maximizing the views.
4. Pocket Sliding Door: These sliding doors slide into a hidden compartment, or pocket in the adjacent wall or over the external face of the building when opened. This means the door panels are completely hidden when fully opened. However, your rooms should have a wall wide enough to accommodate the pocket to install this sliding door system.
Sliding Doors – Material Choices
When it comes to selecting sliding doors, you’ll have a range of designs and materials to choose from. One of the key factors that play a significant impact on the aesthetics and functionality of your sliding door is its frame. Your choice of frame material can impact the overall appeal, durability and longevity of the sliding doors. Common materials include aluminium, wood, steel, fibreglass and vinyl. At Belmont, we offer wooden, glass and aluminium sliding doors that complement any home decor and architectural style.
Stainless steel and aluminium sliding doors may be the right choice for outdoors due to its incredible strength and weather-resistant properties. On the other hand, if you are looking for a cost-effective option, then go with vinyl frames. It is essential to factor in the material cost, space requirements, need for maintenance and your budget while making the decision.
Why Choose Sliding Doors?
Installing glass or aluminium sliding doors offers many benefits against your traditional hinged doors. Some of the major benefits include:
1. Stylish and Versatile: Sliding doors can impart elegance to any space. Moreover, they are available in many designs, materials and finishes. This means you can choose a style that would complement your existing decor seamlessly.
2. Space Saving: Traditional doors demand a certain amount of space for swing clearance so that they can stay open or closed. With sliding doors, you can eliminate the problem as it operates without a hinge, making the best use of limited space.
3. Natural Light: Aluminium sliding doors made with glass panels invite natural light into your living spaces. This not only increases the energy efficiency of your building but also makes your space more welcoming and inviting.
Best Places to Install Sliding Doors
What makes sliding doors a popular option in residential settings is the seamless transition it creates between indoor and outdoor areas. It is a great choice for bathrooms, kitchens, back entrances, balconies, verandahs and patio doors. So, if you are looking for a unique door style perfect for small spaces that allow more natural light into a room, then sliding doors are the best bet.
While sliding doors are undoubtedly an excellent choice to upgrade your living space, it is necessary to choose only the best quality material and installation services. Belmont Glass can offer expert advice and quality door solutions for your residential and commercial properties. Reach out to our team for more information.